Sunday, May 23, 2010

Sunday

Yesterday we went to out on a day of well deserved R&R. We visited Bujagali falls and The Source of The Nile. It was a great day. Today a few of us took a Bodda Bodda ride to church. It ended up taking about 45 minutes on a dirt bike each way. By the time I got back to the bus I was covered in red shale from the road. It is funny that someone as up tight as me would get on a dirt bike driven by a stranger without a helmet and drive out in the middle of the bush. But when in Uganda...
Church today was an experience. We went to a very Pentecostal church. They preached the health and wealth prosperity. We heard a testimony of a lady who was badly malnutritioned. She had been to the hospital but did not have the money for treatment. I do not think she has more than couple days to live, but at this point is to sick to make it to the hospital. The belief is that she must not be saved or else God would have not made her sick. They must rid the demons of her and then she will be healed. . I can see how this philosophy spreads like wild fire here. People are extremely poor, many sick and uneducated. When a church only has 5 bibles and 10 people that are literate, people rely on what the pastor preaches. It is so engrained into the culture, just like polygamy. Most men have more than 1 wife and some more than 20 children.
After church the village held a little get together for us at the build site. We talked about what our plans are and took questions from people. Darrin had some pretty nice words to say about everyone, and then we socialized a bit. I have met 2 little girls that come every day to see me. Eliza and Jacinta are their names and they are about 5 years old. Today Jacinta’s mom told me that she cries everyday when I go home. That breaks my heart.
I am really sad to go home. I know I will be back because I am leaving a bit of my heart here. I have met some really good people and made good friends.
P.S. We just went halfers with Steve and bought a cow. Guess what they Ja and Steve named it. SID (hahaha). I don’t think it bald though.

No comments:

Post a Comment